A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
Senior Manager, Animal Health – Swine Veterinarian
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Providing veterinary services, technical support and leadership to all aspects of Maple Leaf Agri-Farms hog and feed operations.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Provide technical services and direction for swine health and related programs that includes preventative medicine, diagnostic procedures, vaccination program, disease monitoring protocols, animal welfare, antibiotic strategies, disease monitoring protocols, farm health plans, laboratory operations, CQA/CPE and other forms of validation
- Develop and execute the organizations animal health and welfare and bio-security strategies for Maple Leaf Agri-Farms
- Provide expertise and guidance with diagnostics and diagnosis
- Technical support for specialized programs i.e. RWA, and disease prevention protocols
- To provide technical counsel and assistance to all Maple Leaf Agri Farms facilities, regarding health concerns.
- To provide technical counsel and assistance on Maple Leaf initiatives including animal welfare, antimicrobial use, vaccinations etc.
- To provide oversight on veterinary requirements for MLAF and Contract Producers
- Responsible for the training and leadership of Manager(s) of Animal Health & Veterinary Technicians
- Technical input and leadership at various industry committees such as and not limited to WHIN, MVVA, MPC
- Develop and implement bio-security protocols and maintain tracking
- Accountable for annual budgets, performance and results of team and benchmark health costs for all phases of production
- Create, provide, and monitor bio-security protocols to ensure and maintain high health status of our hogs
- Evaluate and scrutinize technologies and products in order to make quality recommendations
- Build collaborative working relationships with production staff, Nutritionists (internal and external providers), and others to improve health and production
- Knowledge and support of company protocols for best practice production
- Establish appropriate diagnostic schedules.
- Consultation with pharmaceutical vendors and recommend purchasing decisions
- Regular Herd health visits at owned, leased and contracted swine production sites, sow nursery and finisher
- Ensure health plans, water medications charts and other tools are maintained to support production on farm
- Proactive approach to antibiotic use, preventing antibiotic resistance
- Support for marketing initiatives such as Raised without Antibiotic, genetics initiatives, herd health, feed programs and other new initiatives
- Establish and maintain good upstanding relationship with educational facilities and health organizations
- Recognize signs of disease and perform proficient necropsies to obtain appropriate samples
- Maintain valid veterinary licenses in both Manitoba & Saskatchewan
- Regional travel when required
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) , valid license in Manitoba. Eligible for a valid license in Saskatchewan or Alberta if required.
- Relevant experience in medium to larger veterinary practice (porcine preferred)
- Ability to work effectively with CFIA and Veterinary Drug Directorate regulators
- Ability to lead and develop a team focused on Animal Health
- Team player and strong collaboration skills working with a variety of different working groups
- Effective at building relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- You are committed to continued learning and competence, as well as maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards
- Ability to manage multiple locations
- Self-driven with excellent problem solving ability
- You possess strong decision making, research and problem-solving skills when diagnosing and selecting appropriate treatment methods
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of swine diagnostic laboratory analyses, diseases and their treatments
- Ability to determine and manage on-farm swine health within a budget
- Strong time management and organizational skills
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.